A number of years ago I did a post about the plastic trash in the oceans, after seeing a disturbing trailer for a film that was being made about one of the most remote islands in the world, Midway Atoll.As live aboard global cruisers, we have seen a massive increase in the amount of trash that washes up on deserted beaches in our 15 years sailing around the world.
The point of this post is to bring together links to a number of organisations and initiatives and even individuals, who are taking action to change this and work towards cleaning up our planet and in particular, becoming plastic free.
This month is Plastic Free July and whilst any effort to increase awareness and encourage us all to take action, is great, let’s not make it simply JULY. Let’s keep on keeping on through each and every month of each and every year Here are some suggestions for living Plastic Free
Please take a moment to read through some of these links and support these initiatives and share them. And let us know if you have other links we can add to this list, as I know there are many, many campaigns taking place, which need to be shared. Thank you!
- Bye Bye Plastic Bags – a fabulous global initiative started by 2 teenage sisters in Bali, which is spreading to communities all around the world. FB link here
- One Cup At A Time – Musician friends of ours cruising the Caribbean with their family, have teamed up with The Moorings Yacht Charter company to campaign for getting rid of single use cups at bars and restaurants. FB link here
- Massive Ocean Clean up initiative here
- Kenya firm to convert plastic waste into synthetic fuel oil and
- Kenyans have started a Plastic Revolution! They are building a traditional boat from plastic waste. I LOVE this! Join the Plastic Revolution!
- From Plastic to Pavement, creative waste management in India
- All forms of plastics banned in Delhi -how many other cities worldwide are following suit?
- Skip A Straw, Save a Sea Turtle
- Mermaids Hate Plastic!
- A wonderful story here by a diver who helped to save this turtle’s life
- Unfortunately that is not the case for huge numbers of turtles
- Sadly this whale didn’t receive the help it needed
- The relentless impact of plastic waste on one of the most remote islands in the Pacific….
- More plastic than fish in the ocean by 2050 if we do not take action now!
- Sea turtles can’t tell the difference
- Nothing that we use for 5 minutes should pollute our oceans for 500 years
- Plastic Pollution Coalition: Refuse single use plastic bags
- Meanwhile lessons to be learned from Sweden whose recycling is so revolutionary the country has run out of rubbish
- 50% of the world’s plastic goes into single use items…. Ditch Plastic
- Back to bottle recycling for Coca Cola?
- A million bottles a minute – why do we continue to buy bottled water and other drinks in plastic bottles?
- And let’s not forget the invisible plastic……
Let’s really consider the impact OUR waste has on our oceans and our world.
The list can and should go on and on until we are ALL not only aware but part of the Plastic Revolution to make our world PLASTIC FREE. Please send us your links so we can add them to this post. Thank you!